What is the Global Fund Advocates Network
The Global Fund Advocates Network (GFAN) was established in 2011 to unite voices and efforts from all over the world to support a fully funded Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
GFAN builds on and brings together existing structures, expertise and experience that has been developed and gathered since 2002 in support of the Global Fund, working with advocates, activists and affected communities in the South and the North, as well as Friends of the Fund organizations.
The overall purpose of GFAN is to build a global social movement to demand health for all by recruiting, connecting and mobilizing advocates to communicate the urgent need, and demand full funding for, the Global Fund to maximize its impact.
To achieve this goal, GFAN’s objectives are to:
- Support Advocacy and Resource Mobilization
To empower and support GFAN members in developing and implementing advocacy strategies (including working with media) on global health and resource mobilization for the Global Fund.
- Support Action
To initiate and support powerful action of GFAN members at global, regional and national level.
- Build the movement
To facilitate and expand the membership network that constitutes the global social movement in support of the Global Fund, with increased participation from advocates and affected communities in implementing countries, current donor countries and potential new donor countries.
GFAN will work according to a number of principles to which its members subscribe:
- GFAN will operate in an open, transparent and accountable manner
- Information provided by GFAN will be accurate and up-to-date
- GFAN will facilitate information-sharing and collaboration, but not directly engage in country-level work, nor be held responsible for the work carried out by its members
- GFAN members act in a transparent and accountable manner and do not engage in activities that may harm the reputation of the Global Fund (while remaining a critical watchdog)
- GFAN will closely collaborate with the Global Fund Secretariat but remain in an independent role
GFAN welcomes as its members all civil society organizations, Friends of the Fund groups and individuals that endorse the GFAN goal, objectives and principles.
Are you interested in becoming a GFAN member? You can request to join our mailing list at http://groups.google.com/group/globalfundadvocatesnetwork
A full concept note, produced in 2011, of what GFAN is and what it wants to accomplish can be downloaded here.
GFAN Steering Committee
- Bill Bowtell – Pacific; Executive Director, Pacific Friends, Australia
- Joanne Carter – North America; Executive Director, RESULTS/RESULTS Educational Fund (REF), USA
- Rosemary Mburu – Africa, Executive Director, World AIDS Campaign International, South Africa
- Diarmaid McDonald – Europe; Advocacy Manager, STOPAIDS, UK
- Rachel Ong – Asia; Communications Focal Point, Communities Delegation to the Board of the Global Fund, Singapore
- To be confirmed – Latin America and the Caribbean